"Forrest Woodbush is a mysterious Styracosaurus who lives in the wilderness. Like Arlo, he harbors unreasonable fears. His ability to blend into his surroundings helps—along with an unusual (but not-exactly-fierce) collection of forest critters he’s recruited to protect him."
The Good Dinosaur
Forrest Woodbush approaches Arlo after he witnesses Spot protecting Arlo from a snake. He expresses interest in acquiring the then-unnamed Spot, declaring that if he names him, he will keep him. After much "meditation", Forrest proposes evocative names such as "killer" or "murderer" before ending with more random choices such as "Violet" or "lunatic". However, Arlo wins the contest when he yells, "Spot!" and that the human boy reacts.
Forrest Woodbush, defeated, solemnly predicts that Spot will always protect Arlo. However, he is terrified when Debbie, his favorite pet, flies away, seemingly to join Arlo. He is last seen running after her, pleading her to come back.
The collection of pets Forrest Woodbush has gathered to protect him is highly ecclectic, and is composed of several reptiles, mammals, as well as a few birds and butterflies. The pets whose names are known are:
- Debbie: a bright red songbird, who seems to be Forrest's favorite. Forrest interprets her singing as advice on what he should do.
- Dream-crusher: a large nondescript mammal which protects Forrest from "unrealistic goals."
- Destructor: a fox which Forrest believes to protect him from mosquitoes.
- Fury: a yellow salamander which supposedly protects Forrest from "the creatures that crawl in the night."
- Forrest Woodbush made a cameo in Inside Out in the form of a statue during Riley's trip to San Francisco.
- Forrest Woodbush shares his name with a brother of Arlo's from an earlier version of the film (discarded in the final film).
- Although he is officially a Styracosaurus and resembles one due to the many horns on his frill, he also has long brow horns and a short nasal horn like a Triceratops.
- In promotional material from Subway, this character is labeled "Shaman".
- His skin resembles a birch tree.