A carnivore is any animal that only eats the flesh of another animal. Carnivores need to eat lots of meat to survive, and to get this meat they need to be good hunters. Below you will find some of the methods that carnivores used to catch their prey.
Types of Carnivore
There are two main types of carnivorous dinosaurs:
Carnivore hunting methods
- Chase their prey and tear it apart (notably T-Rex and Giganotosaurus)
- Eat dead carcasses, also known as scavenging (probably all carnivores did this at some point or another)
- Ambush their prey using their camouflage (almost every predator)
- Attack their prey in packs to bring it down (notably Velociraptor and Deinonychus)
- Cannibalism (notably Coelophysis)
Carnivore diets were very rich in nutrients from the flesh they ate, and they could easily go for weeks without food, unlike herbivores that needed to eat constantly.
Here are some carnivores that you have probably heard of:
And a whole lot more!